Rongai is the only route starting on the northern slope of Kilimanjaro. Though this part of the Mountain is rarely visited by hikers, it is not less interesting than the popular southern and western slopes. We recommend Rongai to all those who like reclusive hiking experiences.
Rongai is also the only route that passes by Mawenzi, one of the three volcanic cones of Kilimanjaro and the third highest peak in Africa. The way back lies through Marangu, and thus you will be able to see both sides of the mountain.
Though six and seven-day programs are available, a longer option is recommended for better acclimatization transition.
RONGAI ROUTE ITINERARY
8-day Kilimanjaro adventure via Rongai route (6-day trekking + 2 days in a hotel)
Arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), where you will meet an Wonderland representative, and transfer to the hotel under the rate. The hotel will provide all the essentials for a comfortable stay: cozy rooms, hot water, polite staff, a swimming pool, and Internet access. In the evening, there will be a briefing with our managers, who will also make sure you are ready to begin the climb.
A guide and a mountain support crew will arrive at the hotel in the morning in order to meet you and hold a quick briefing, after which you will travel by vehicle to Kilimanjaro National Park’s northern entrance: Nalemuru Gate (2,020 m). After the quick formality of acquiring climbing permits and registering with the search and rescue service, the group will start trekking up to Simba Camp (2,625 m). Your trek this day will be moderate and take you through coniferous forest up Kilimanjaro’s northern slope.
Remember not to hurry and always keep a comfortable pace. By the time you reach the camp, our professional mountain crew will prepare everything necessary, put tents and cook dinner for you.
This will be your first day at this altitude, so it is strongly recommended you heed the following instructions from this point on:
- Abstain from consuming alcohol and caffeine
- Drink over 4 liters of bottled water daily (little by little, frequently)
- Take a Diamox pill to help alleviate symptoms of altitude sickness. Most mountain climbers take Diamox in the morning, before they start their ascent, in order to reduce discomfort associated with altitude sickness. We recommend you consult your doctor prior to the trip in case of potential allergies.
At night you may experience discomfort associated with acclimatization to the high altitude: because of a reduction in your waking breathing pattern, your body gets less oxygen than during the day. Taking altitude into account, you may therefore start feeling sick and have a headache. Pay attention to your own body and tell your guide if you start feeling any symptoms of altitude sickness.
Change in Elevation: Nalemuru Gate (2,020 m) – Simba Camp (2,625 m)
Hiking distance: 8 km
Hiking time: 3-4 hours
Early in the morning after breakfast, the group will depart from Simba Camp to start trekking towards your second-high altitude camp: Kikilewa Camp (3,630 m) where you can see Kibo Volcano at its finest (barring cloudy weather). This trekking is more physically demanding than the previous one, so once you are in the camp, full rest is recommended.
Change in Elevation: Simba Camp (2,625 m) – Kikilewa Camp (3,630 m)
Hiking distance: 10 km
Hiking time: 5-6 hours
Early wakeup, breakfast and the start of trekking to Mawenzi Tarn Camp, which is situated at the foot of Mawenzi Volcano, Kilimanjaro’s second summit. When you reach the camp, you will have lunch and a two-hour rest, after which there will be an acclimatization hike towards Mawenzi Volcano with a 200-meter gain in altitude, followed by a hike back down to Mawenzi Tarn Camp, where you will have dinner in the evening.
Note: The acclimatization hike is an easy trek with a slight gain in altitude done in order to speed up the acclimatization process. You should take the acclimatization hikes very seriously. They help increase your chances of successfully summiting Kilimanjaro and save you from the consequences of altitude sickness.
Trekking from Kikilewa Camp to Mawenzi Tarn Camp:
Change in Elevation: Kikilewa Camp (3,630 m) – Mawenzi Tarn Camp (4,310 m)
Hiking distance: 6 km
Hiking time: 4-5 hours
This day will be spent trekking towards School Hut Camp (4,715 m). The landscape will change significantly to give way to a rocky semidesert. The actual trekking is not very difficult; just remember to stick with an appropriate pace to keep up your strength for the trekking to Kilimanjaro’s summit. When you reach the camp, we recommend you sleep well, avoid strenuous activity, and drink as much as you can, because that very night you will be ascending Uhuru Peak (5,895 m).
Change in Elevation: Mawenzi Tarn Camp (4,310 m) – School Hut Camp (4,715 m)
Hiking distance: 9 km
Hiking time: 5-6 hours
Night departure from School Hut Camp (4,715 m) and the start of your trekking to Kilimanjaro’s summit: Uhuru peak (5,895 m). The trekking will be moderate from a physical standpoint, but the altitude presents a much more serious problem. For the entire length of the trekking each pair of climbers will be accompanied by their own guide, who will be monitoring your stamina and mental resolve. After your successful ascent to Uhuru Peak, you can descend to the nearest glacier if desired. Then you will return to Kibo Camp and after a two-hour rest continue your descent to Horombo Camp (3,720 m).
Note: Don’t forget that 90% of all accidents occur during the descent, including all broken arms and legs. Please pay attention to your feet, as there is a high risk of damaging your toenails.
Change in Elevation: School Hut Camp (4,715 m) – Uhuru Peak (5,895 m) – Horombo Camp (3,720 m)
Hiking distance: 21 km
Hiking time: 12-14 hours
You will be offered a warm breakfast in the morning, after which we will head for the Kilimanjaro National Park’s exit: Marangu Gate (1,860 m). After your descent the whole group will gather to congratulate you, and then you will have the chance to share your opinions on the trip in the guestbook. Lastly, we will present you with your commemorative certificates (in our office) and provide you a transfer back to the hotel.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Camp (3,720 m) – Marangu Gate (1,860 m)
Hiking distance: 18 km
Hiking time: 5-6 hours
Rest in the hotel and transfer to the airport.
Note: Hotel check-out is at 11:00 AM. In case you need a late check-out because of an evening flight, there is the option to extend your hotel stay for an extra fee.
RONGAI ROUTE TREK COST
All payments in Tanzania are in USD only. The prices in RUB and EUR are given for informational purposes only.
Our standard adventures are what the majority of climbers are looking for. The combination of great comfort and high safety standards makes our classic hikes enjoyable and memorable. This is the most popular option among our clients.
This climbing package includes everything that a climber may need for the hike – our experienced mountain crews, high-quality group equipment and nutritionist-designed meals. Our safety protocols, though, are the same for all our hiking adventures – only the guides with Wilderness First Responder certification are assigned to lead a party.
Other safety measures include a supply of oxygen cylinders, complete medical kits and compulsory medical check-ups (two per day).
The progress of each trekking party is tracked with GPS device. You may share the link with your family and friends, who will be able to monitor your progress in a real-time mode. Before and after the adventure you will stay in a good hotel with caring staff, hot water, reliable Wi-Fi, restaurant and swimming pool.
6-Day Climb + 2 Days in a Hotel
- Pick-up and drop-off at Kilimanjaro International Airport;
- Transfer to the trailhead – entry gate to Kilimanjaro National Park;
- Pick-up at the exit from Kilimanjaro National Park and transfer to the hotel.
- All park fees collected by the Kilimanjaro National Park (conservation fees, camping fees, crew fees, vehicle fee, rescue fee and all other fees collected by the Tanzania National Parks Authority).
- One night at 3* Hotel or Lodge in Moshi before the expedition and one night after; The hotels have everything for your comfortable stay – caring staff, nice rooms, reliable Wi-Fi, restaurant and swimming pool);
- Tented accommodation on Mount Kilimanjaro.
All accommodation is on sharing basis (i.e. you will be sharing with your travel companion a twin/double room in the hotel and a tent during the hike. If you travel alone, we will match you with a same-sex adventurer).
- Breakfast in the hotel before and after the hike;
- All meals on the hike. Our Kilimanjaro diet includes energy-rich and highly nutritious meals prepared by our professional high-altitude cooks. A typical diet on Kilimanjaro includes different soups, garnishes, several types of fish and meat, fresh fruit and vegetables; vegetarian/ gluten-free/halal options are available at no extra cost
- All drinks on the hike (coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water).
Hiking and safety equipment
- 4-inch (10-cm) thick and comfortable sleeping mats;
- All group equipment (spacious and comfortable dining tent, camping table and chairs, crockery and cutlery);
- Oxygen cylinders and oximeters;
- GPS-tracking service;
- Complete medical kits.
- Professional guides, licensed by Kilimanjaro National Park. All our guides are the holder of Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid certifications. All our guides have 7+years of successful mountaineering experience;
- Dedicated support crew (assistant guides, camp master, porters, cooks, etc.).
The climb cost excludes:
- Airline tickets;
- Visa fee;
- Lunch and dinner at the hotel (before and after the ascent);
- Personal gear rentals;
- Tips for the mountain crew (200–250 USD per person);
- Mountaineering insurance.
Trip prices are based on Wonderland costs, fees, and supplier prices in effect at the time of booking. Wonderland reserves the right to alter trip prices should inflation, cost of fuel, labor, materials, or exchange rates change. If the Tanzania National Parks Authority (TANAPA) raises park fees, or any hotel, lodge, camp, airline, or any other service provider raises their rates Wonderland reserves the right to require additional payment from the client.
Head Office: Block E of Plot No.45A & 45B, Ursino Street, P.O. Box 71941 – Dar es salaam – Tanzania. Tel: +255713123776
Branch Office: Ngorongoro Tower – 6th Floor, Arusha – Tanzania. Tel: +255 745 333 467