Mount Meru Climb a thrilling hiking adventure in the pristine wild Magnetized by Mt Kilimanjaro, the hikers often overlook Mt Meru, the second highest peak of Tanzania. Towering over Arusha National Park, Mount Meru offers both an excellent warm-up exercise for Kilimanjaro, in addition to being a stunning trekking experience in the wild by its own. Mount Meru trekking is a real adventure. The slopes of this dormant (yet active – the last eruption was in 1910)volcano offer fascinating panoramic vistas and bustling wildlife around it This volcano was “born” around 500,000 years ago, and it’s very first eruption virtually exploded its eastern side, creating its well-known, peculiar appearance. In addition to that, Mt Meru has one of the deepest craters – over 1,500 meters!
Why Climb Mount Meru
There are several reasons to include Mount Meru into your Tanzania adventures list. Regrettably, this volcano is often out shadowed by Kilimanjaro – located in the immediate vicinity, it attracts the most of international hikers, thus making it a secondary hiking destination or a warm-up exercise. The majority of hikers, however, ignore it altogether.
3 DAYS VS. 4 DAYS HIKE
If the schedule allows and you have not gained acclimatization on other mountains before (meaning that you have successfully climbed anything above 4,000m/13,123f and did not get affected by altitude sickness), we always recommend choosing a longer option. The more time you spend on Mount Meru – the more effectively your body adapts to the altitude, making the whole experience less stressful for it. The Momella route approaches Mount Meru from the eastern face, moving up through the northern ridge to the peak. The total trek distance is 45 km/27 miles.
5-day tour (3 days of trekking) 6-day tour (4 days of trekking)
- Day 1: Arrival to Tanzania
- Day 2: From Momella Gate to Miriakamba Huts
- Day 3: From Miriakamba Huts to Saddle Huts
- Day 4: From Saddle Huts to Socialist Peak and to Momella Gate
Day 5: Departure
MOUNT MERU TREKKING ITINERARY
Arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), where you will meet Wonderland representative, and transfer to the hotel in Arusha. In the evening there will be a briefing with our managers, who will also make sure you are ready to begin the climb.
Early in the morning you will be picked up from your hotel and transferred to the Momella Gate in Arusha National Park. At this time, the porters will organize and pack the belongings for the hike while you and your guide register with the Tanzania National Park (TANAPA). The first day of hiking is similar to a walking safari; you should expect to see giraffes, zebras, antelope, buffalo, and potentially elephants near the trail.
Due to the high possibility of spotting wildlife, an armed ranger, hired through the National Park, is required to hike with our team for the duration of the hike. As you continue hiking, you will pass the Ngarenanyuki River and a beautiful waterfall at the base of Mt. Meru. Upon arriving to Miriakamba Hut (2,500 m), your chef will prepare a hot dinner and warm water for you.
This will be your first day at this altitude, so it is strongly recommended you heed the following instructions from this point on:
- – Abstain from consuming alcohol and caffeine
- – Drink over 4 liters of bottled water daily (little by little, frequently)
- – Take a Diamox pill to help alleviate symptoms of altitude sickness. Most mountain climbers take Diamox in the morning, before they start their ascent, in order to reduce discomfort associated with altitude sickness.
We recommend you consult your doctor prior to the trip in case of potential allergies.
– At night you may experience discomfort associated with acclimatization to the high altitude: because of a reduction in your waking breathing pattern, your body gets less oxygen than during the day. Taking altitude into account, you may therefore start feeling sick and have a headache. Pay attention to your own body and tell your guide if you start feeling any symptoms of altitude sickness.
Change in Elevation: Momella Gate (1,500 m) – Miriakamba Hut (2,500 m)
- Hiking distance: 10 km
- Hiking time: 4-5 hours
After breakfast, you will start ascending up the steep trail along the ridge of the saddle. You may see various wildlife along the way! The trail has amazing views of Meru Crater and the Ash Cone. When you arrive at camp, you have the option of hiking Little Meru (3,820 m) with your guide to further acclimate. You will be served an early dinner, so you can receive ample rest before your midnight summit attempt.
Change in Elevation: Miriakamba Hut (2,500 m) – Saddle Hut (3,550 m)
Hiking distance: 5 km
Hiking time: 3-4 hours
Summiting has an early start at around 00:00. There is a 1-hour steep climb to Rhino Point (3,800 m), then the path continues along a ridge of ash and rock to reach Cobra Point (4,350 m). The summit of Socialist Peak (4,562 m) is an hour further on a steep path with magnificent views of Kilimanjaro. Depending on your speed, you can enjoy sunrise at Cobra Point or the summit. The views are stunning: the cliffs of the Crater rim, the Ash Cone rising from the crater floor, Kilimanjaro floating on the morning clouds, and the Rift Valley. The route back to Rhino Point in the morning light along a narrow ridge between the sloping outer wall of the crater and the cliffs of the inner wall is one of the most dramatic and exhilarating walks in Africa. Brunch and a brief rest are taken at Saddle Hut before continuing the descent to Momella Gate. After your descent the whole group will gather to congratulate you, and then you will be transferred to Moshi or Arusha town.
Change in Elevation: Saddle Hut (3,550 m) – Socialist Peak (4,562 m) – Momella Gate (1,500 m)
Hiking distance: 16 km
Hiking time: 12–14 hours
Prepare for Departure
Rest in the hotel and transfer to the airport.
MOUNT MERU TREKKING COST
All payments in Tanzania are in USD only.
Our standard adventures are what the majority of climbers are looking for. The combination of great comfort and high safety standards makes our classic hikes enjoyable and memorable. This is the most popular option among our clients.
This climbing package includes everything that a climber may need for the hike – our experienced mountain crews, high-quality group equipment and nutritionist-designed meals. Our safety protocols, though, are the same for all our hiking adventures – only the guides with Wilderness First Responder certification are assigned to lead a party. Other safety measures include a supply of oxygen cylinders, complete medical kits and compulsory medical check-ups (two per day).
The progress of each trekking party is tracked with GPS device. You may share the link with your family and friends, who will be able to monitor your progress in a real-time mode. Before and after the adventure you will stay in a good hotel with caring staff, hot water, reliable Wi-Fi, restaurant and swimming pool.
3-Day Climb + 2 Days in a Hotel
- Pick-up and drop-off at Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Transfer to the trail head in Arusha National Park
- Pick-up at the end of the trek.
All fees collected by the Arusha National Park for Mt Meru trekking (conservation fees, hut fees, crew fees, vehicle fee, rescue fee and all other fees collected by the Tanzania National Parks Authority).
- One night at 3* hotel or lodge in Moshi before the expedition and one night after; The hotels have everything for your comfortable stay – caring staff, nice rooms, reliable Wi-Fi, restaurant and swimming pool)
- Accommodation in huts on the trek.
All hotel accommodation is on sharing basis (i.e. you will be sharing with your travel companion a twin/double room. If you travel alone, we will match you with a same-sex adventurer). Single occupancy in a hotel is available upon request and extra chargers apply. Single accommodation is not available in huts while on the trek, because it is the park rangers who assign the trekkers to the huts.
- Breakfast in the hotel before and after the hike.
- All meals on the hike. Our Mount Meru diet includes energy-rich and highly nutritious meals prepared by our professional high-altitude cooks. In our menu you will find different soups, garnishes, several types of fish and meat, fresh fruit and vegetables; vegetarian/gluten-free/halal options are available at no extra cost.
- All drinks on the hike (coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water).
Hiking and safety equipment:
- 4-inch (10-cm) thick and comfortable sleeping mats;
- All group equipment;
- Oxygen cylinders and oximeters;
- GPS-tracking service;
- Complete medical kits.
- Professional guides, licensed by the Tanzania National Park
- Authority. All our guides are the holders of Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First — Aid certifications and have 7+years of successful mountaineering experience;
- Dedicated support crew (assistant guides, camp master, porters, cooks, etc.).
The price excludes:
- Airline tickets to Tanzania;
- Visa fee;
- Lunch and dinner at the hotel (before and after the hike);
- Personal gear rentals.
- Tips for the mountain crew (100–150 USD per person);
- Mountaineering insurance.
Trip prices are based on Wonderland Travel Agency costs, fees, and supplier prices in effect at the time of booking. Wonderland reserves the right to alter trip prices should inflation, cost of fuel, labor, materials, or exchange rates change. If the Tanzania National Parks Authority (TANAPA) raises park fees, or any hotel, lodge, camp, airline, or any other service provider raises their rates, Wonderland reserves the right to require additional payment from the client.
Head Office: Block E of Plot No.45A & 45B, Ursino Street, P.O. Box 71941 – Dar es salaam – Tanzania. Tel: +255713123776
Branch Office: Ngorongoro Tower – 6th Floor, Arusha – Tanzania. Tel: +255 745 333 467